Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Singer eyes role as producer for 'acoustic' third LP – just as soon as she learns how to use her recording studio




Singer eyes role as producer for 'acoustic' third LP – just as soon as she learns how to use her recording studio

After smashing chart records with her latest album, Adele has revealed plans to self-record the follow-up. The singer wants to dispense with outside producers – and even mastering experts – for her third LP. "I'd go into the studio tomorrow if I could," she told Q magazine. "It won't be a big production."

In six months, Adele's second album, 21, has sold more than 7m copies worldwide. Eight times platinum in the UK, double platinum in the US, it has even overtaken Lady Gaga and Kate Bush. But though Adele has won wide acclaim, the singer says she wants to tone it down for her third LP. "I want it to be quite acoustic and piano-led," she explained. "I want to write it, record it all, produce it all and master it on my own."

It would certainly be a change from 21, which involved four writers and six producers, including Rick Rubin, Semisonic's Dan Wilson and OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder. "I don't really care about expectations," Adele said. "If you deliver the songs I think you get away with it. I'm not expecting my next record to be as big as this one."

Although Adele has not begun writing or recording new music, she has "accumulated some things to write about". But don't hold your breath for her next album. Despite the singer's DIY plans, she doesn't actually know how to self-record. "When I move house in the summer, my sound engineer is going to come and help me install a studio and teach me how to use it," she said. "I think it'll take a lot longer because I want to do it this way."

Something tells us the follow-up to 19 and 21 won't be out in time to be called 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment